After more than two months of self and government-imposed closures or modified working arrangements due to the COVID-19 pandemic, businesses and governments across the country are preparing to return to the workplace.
A variety of government agencies and business groups have provided guidance to employers on how to safely reopen workplaces to both employees and the public. These include:
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC),
- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA),
- The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC),
- Various state and local orders and “reopening plans,”
- Public and private healthcare organizations, and
- The US Chamber of Commerce.
Employers are also trying to keep up with the all-COVID, all-the-time 24-hour news cycle to stay abreast of the latest information.
This document provides a broad outline of employer considerations for returning employees to the workplace, providing links to deeper-dive sources that may be helpful. Businesses should review federal, state, and local guidance specific to their industry, where appropriate.
Because recommendations change as new information becomes available, we’ll update this document when appropriate. Providing your info below ensures that you get notified of updates!
This 28-page eBook includes information on a variety of COVID-19 pandemic-related topics for businesses, including:
- Deciding When to Return to the Workplace
- Returning Employees to Employment
- Determining Necessary Workforce Size
- Determining Who to Return to Work
- Calling Employees Back to Employment
- Onboarding Rehired Employees
- Workplace Safety & Policy Considerations
- Symptoms of COVID-19
- Understanding Viral Transmission
- Cleanliness Standards
- Electrostatic Sprayers and Other Equipment
- Workplace Layout
- Employee Hygiene
- Face Masks
- Company and Personal Travel
- Modifying Workplace Interactions
- Legal Concerns with Employer Inquiries into Health Issues
- Testing Employees for COVID-19
- Daily Health Questionnaires
- Sample COVID-19 Daily Health Questionnaire
- Daily Temperature Checks
- Responding to International Travel Risks
- Responding to Potential External Exposures to COVID-19
- Responding to Symptomatic or Infected Employees
- Visitor Safety Precautions
- Employee Refusals to Comply with Company Health Policies
- Managing Potential Workplace Exposures
- OSHA Recording of Confirmed Work-Related Infections